Monday, January 26, 2009

I never really noticed butterflies before...


we lost our youngest son, Whitney, in a car crash on July 17, 2005. I had lots of things blooming in the back yard that summer, and I spent lots of time out there, VERY early in the morning when I could not sleep. I would get up and weed the flower beds -- very therapeutic and also my first opportunity to really notice butterflies. They were there, flying and flitting around, moving their wings to and fro -- several different types and colors. I became obsessed with them at that time -- they became a sign to me that things were OK with Whitney. Those little yellow ones were abundant and I saw them everywhere, like as we were leaving church and at the cemetery, until way after Thanksgiving that year. It truly did my heart good to look around and see a little butterfly flitting by.

Since I first noticed them, I see butterfly "things" in lots of places and I simply have to have some butterflies all year. I have several butterfly items in my home now -- many are gifts from friends that know of my new butterfly obsession. I even got my own butterfly Mardi Gras beads, courtesy of my sweet Louisiana sister-in-law, Sharon.
/>
butterfly note cards from MML that I framed for master closet area

The Arkansas Department of Finance and Adminstration has just unveiled a new Butterfly license plate, with funding to be used for conservation scholarships through the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. I was perusing through the magazine that comes from Farm Bureau today when this beautiful butterfly license plate caught my eye, and I thought, "I can have my own butterfly with me everywhere I go now in my little car."

I have a new appreciation for many things of nature that I once just took for granted. I pay more attention to the flowers that bloom, the birds that chirp, and the lovely green foilage of the trees in early spring. I realize that God IS great and he has made these things for us -- just a taste of the majesty that He promises us in eternity.

I just needed to pay special attention to my butterflies today...

1 comments:

Sharon said...

Phyllis, I'm so glad you like your butterfly Mardi Gras beads - of course they had your name on them in the store! LOL You MUST have that license plate too. What a comforting all-the-time gift God has given you in the appearance of these wonderful little creatures in nature and in man-made renderings throughout the year. Hoping you see lots of butterflies today - much love, Sharon