Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Day...2008

Uncle Sam, Aunt Ellen, Nana and Pa




Christmas Day has come and gone again and guess what, we survived -- AGAIN;) There are days leading up to it when we're never sure. Of course, it wasn't without some spills and thrills, tears AND smiles, caffeine and an extreme sugar rush, but hey, we've managed to get to the other side of Christmas. As Martha would say, "It's a good thing!"

The day started out fairly normal. I got up and made pies, had my first dose of Diet Coke caffeine, Sophie running around. We opened our gifts, including a few for Sophie. Jim walked out front, tripped, because he was scuffing along in his bedroom shoes, and fell into the brick wall. He skinned his forearm up pretty good and at first, we both thought he might have broken his elbow. Rewind to January, 2001, when he broke his ankle while duck hunting and the weeks of recovery from surgery, pins and metal plate in the ankle. He said he was thinking, "New Year's Eve is this week and I'm going to be out of commission". I know he was adding some expletives in there:) I was thinking, "What a way to start my retirement! I'll be working every day at the d*mn store." Come on, you know I thought it! But, after careful observation, me helping him to his feet, cleaning and doctoring the booboo, and both of us having more caffeine, PLUS another Skype call from the kids, he's no worse for the wear. REALLY enjoyed the camera time from Patrick, Amy and Deacon -- did I tell you that a Webcam is the GREATEST gift for long-distance grandparents:)

I ran some pies over to Ulm for the Kerksiecks. Came home and the house smelled like coffee -- Jim got a new coffeemaker and he was trying it out. I don't usually drink coffee, but it smelled great. Continuing on the caffeine train. Got dressed, headed to Brinkley, had lunch with Nana and Pa, Larry, Aunt Ellen and Uncle Sam. Food was delicious -- enjoyed being with them. Aunt Ellen made her "killer" coconut cream pie, that Jim absolutely loves. This is where the sugar high comes in... Home for a short nap, then to the movies to see "Marley and Me"--Ok, I guess I should have read the book because I was not expecting to CRY! I won't give any spoilers -- recently remodeled theater in Stuttgart filled to capacity -- enjoyed all of it except for the crying part again. And I was thinking, "we might have a mini-Marley on our hands!" (referring to previous post about Sophie being home alone :)

Came home, checked the kids blog, watched D play with his new stuff, watched Patrick play video games (that took me back), eyed the pie, watched a little TV, then to bed...finally...the day is officially over...and we have survived...again...no Whitney...but great memories...enjoying the family and friends that we hold dear...great memories in the making...

0 comments: