Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Beach Party - Week 4 - Wind down with Family



Frank, Sharon and Matthew arrived Saturday mid-afternoon and everyone retired early tonight! Frank had been en route to the beach from Iraq for about 4 days when he got here, so to say that his "time" was messed up was an understatement! We enjoyed the beach on Sunday morning, Frank and Matthew did a little grocery shopping,

returning with flowers for Sharon and me for Mother's Day (a treat!) and I left to pick up my honey from the Pensacola airport!

Frank began the day on Monday by firing up the grill about 5 a.m. (Didn't I tell you that his time was off a little?) We spent a lazy day at home, relaxing on the beach.


Alice, Sharon and Annie


We invited Ann, cousin Alice, and friend, Regina, for a delicious steak dinner that evening, with homemade ice cream for dessert. It was one lazy day after another this week.




Sharon and Sophie taking a turn in the hammock!

until Wednesday when the guys decided to go deep-sea fishing and Sharon and I traveled over to Fairhope for a day of shopping.



Sharon and I enjoyed a lovely lunch here at the Fairhope Inn!

Let's just say that Sharon and I were the winners of this day -- Jim and Frank got extremely sea sick and were unable to fish -- Matthew had a great time and caught a load of fish but the day was a total wipeout for the brothers :-(

I began the beach wind down by starting the packing process on Thursday, in between beach time. I think I had reached my sand saturation point, since it was in and on everything I owned at this point! And I had brought many of my comfort items from home, so this packing wasn't going to happen with a snap of the finger...it took careful assessment of the situation. Whenever there was a lull in activity, I was packing something away for the trip home. By Friday lunch, Jim and I had made a pretty good dent in our things and headed into town for a final lunch somewhere (Sharon and Matthew had taken Frank to the airport), then home for naps, before packing some final things that evening.

The trip ended with a bang! Sharon misplaced her keys in the packing process and we thought we were going to have to call a locksmith, but alas, we found them and everyone headed out the door after the fourth and final week of the Great Retirement Beach Party!

This trip was much anticipated, as I had begun the planning process long before I actually retired, and I must say, I was NOT disappointed. It was everything that I wanted, and needed, it to be and it was further enhanced by the friends and family that shared this time with me. Thanks, gang, for helping make this a time to remember! And a really special thank you to the greatest husband in the world -- a husband that supported my efforts to make this all possible!


I love you, Jim!!!

0 comments: