Saturday, March 14, 2009

Settling In ...

For the past two weeks, I have been getting settled in to this new way of life for me -- with no full-time job. I have to say that it is harder than I expected but I am enjoying the time at home. Anyone who really knows me KNOWS that I am queen of the lists! I work better from a list and feel great accomplishment when I can check something off the list. Well, that's how it's supposed to work anyway. I have been making the list, and I do get a few check marks every day but I am still not getting the many things accomplished in the time that I have "allowed".

I went to book club in the past two weeks at the home of Felicia Sands. I have gone to church with Felicia for the past 30+ years but she just recently (in the past 6 months) joined our book club. She has built a lovely home outside of Brinkley and we had a great time. Our next book, or in this case, selection is just to read some poetry and bring our favorite poem next month when we meet at Ann's. I'm not much of a poetry reader, but I have enjoyed looking, reading, and thinning out my choices. Again, book club is broadening my horizons.

I've had a hair appointment, and a business appointment. I met some friends for a movie and dinner in Little Rock last Saturday, had the dog spayed, finally got my Christmas dishes moved and stored away, bought groceries and planned nightly menus (we're trying WW AGAIN!), picked up a "surprise" table with Rhonda in Little Rock, and had lunch yesterday with Aunt Margie. I think I see a pattern here and it isn't getting many check marks by "things to do at home"!

That is the list that is endless: you know, you probably have some of the same on your home list. Laundry (even tho there are only two of us here, there is always laundry). Cooking (trying to cook good nutritional meals that taste good while we change our eating habits) Cleaning -- enough about that one! But then, there are the things like working on taxes that I seem to be putting off daily, organizing my home office so that I can see the top of my desk and actually get to work there, getting into the boxes and boxes of pictures and organizing them in some fashion (any ideas about that one?), finding time to help Jim out at the store so he can have a little break. As I write this, I just know how very far I've come since Whitney's death. I remember when just getting out of bed and getting clothes on was enough -- that was the only box I had to check for that day. So, I am going to tell myself today the same thing I've been trying to get through my thick skull for the past few days...if it doesn't get done today, there's always tomorrow. And if not tomorrow, oh well! I like that concept -- and maybe if I say it enough, it will finally sink in and I will finally be settled in...to my new "retirement" mode of life.


P.S. And by the way, does anyone know how much time you can waste checking out the blogs that I follow, getting on the Weight Watchers site, putting in points, reading a few message boards, and last my not least, my newest addiction, FACEBOOK. That is the most addictive with all of its games and such -- who knew that I would fall into that trap? I have my sister to thank for that, so Thanks, Gayle for getting me hooked on Computer Crack...LOL!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

You've got the right idea - even if you just work on checking off one item you've accomplished something - the rest of the ever-present list will be there tomorrow - and as Miss Scarlet says, "Tomorrow IS another day!" Don't let retirement stress you out, girl - just go with the flow... Big hugs, Sharon

elyag7 said...

You're welcome for the new addiction to Computer Crack! Don't stress over the "lists"; it gets done when it gets done...lol. Love you Sis!

Amy said...

Hi Ms. Phyllis! I just wanted to let you know I have given you an "I Love Your Blog!" award! Check out my blog to take a look! :) Take care!